This is a great meal when you want something light or an easy weekday meal. The flavors of the farro, almonds and salad make a great combination.
If you are not familiar with farro, it is an Italian rice that has a really yummy, chewy consistency and can be used in so many ways. My favorite almonds to use in salads are Marcona but in this picture I used regular roasted almonds. If you can find Marcona, they are worth the cost to splurge.
Also, to keep the meal easy, I used a rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods or you can used left over chicken from a previous meal.
- 1 1/2 cups farro to be cooked
- 4 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice- about 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Dash of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A bowl full of romaine lettuce chopped – about 10 cups
- 2 cups of chicken pulled off of a rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup of shaved Parmesano Reggiano
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries or cherries
- 1/2 cup roasted or Marcona almonds
- Combine the water, salt and the farro in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the farro is tender. This will take about 30 minutes. Drain well, and then transfer to a large mixing bowl to cool.
- To make the dressing, blend the olive oil, lemon juice, dijon, garlic powder, honey and salt and pepper to taste. I use a glass container with a lid and shake to combine the ingredients.
- Wash, spin dry and chop the romaine lettuce and add it to a large mixing bowl.
- Pull the chicken off of the rotisserie chicken and shred into small pieces. Add to the top of the lettuce.
- Shave the parmesan and add it to the salad.
- Sprinkle the cranberries and almonds on top.
- Add the dressing to the bowl and toss to dress the salad.