Quick Tips to bring your family back to the table:
- Find at least one meal a day to share with your family even if it is breakfast. Families with older kids tend to have more hectic schedules at night, so plan to meet at the breakfast table a certain time each morning.
- Understand where your food is coming from and educate yourself on nutrition to be able to make good choices for your family. This could mean reading a simple book like “Fast Food Nation” or subscribing to a nutrition blog. Even if food is not your thing, we have to educate ourselves a little bit to understand why it is imperative to pick healthy choices.
- Use glass containers for freezing instead of plastic wear. It is a lot more expensive but it will last so much longer and is so much healthier for you.
- Buy spices from the bulk section and just refill the original glass spice container you bought.
- Come up with a question at dinner that the whole family can answer like “what was the worst and best part of your day”.
- Start your meal with a prayer and let family members take turns creating their own prayer.
- Try to double the freezer friendly dinners so you can have a meal handy on the nights you don’t have time to cook. Freezer friendly meals are things like soups, chili, meat dishes, and lasagna.
- Have candles at the table and light them each night. It creates a tradition and the kids love it.
- Play your favorite music at dinner and let the kids pick the music sometime.